Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Let's Talk About U-NITE at the Crocker...

The video above is my favorite moment at U-NITE.  I walked in and saw many of my peers and CSUS Art Department staff- most of my instructors were actually there.  I felt like this night was off to a very fun start!!  Well I walked in and saw everyone and said a quick hello, then drums started playing.  I went to look, and I saw these men in very colorful African costumes beating these drums feverently!  It was so exciting, loud, and catchy.  My attention was all theirs for the next few moments, then a girl in the crowd started dancing, and danced her way up onto the stage!  It had me in awe because her moves were free, and impressive- it was like she was truly moved by the beating of their traditional drums.

Next my attention was directed outside, where I could just make out through the clear glass wall, a bounce house?  I got a little closer and finally made my way out there.
What... was... this?  Well, someone walked up to me and said something like, "thank you for your patronage!  Please write all your medications on this balloon, and release it inside the brain."  Um, I'm sorry- what?  So I walked up to my friend Faith Sponsler who was there, and I said hi to her.  She said her name was not Faith, but was Leslie Harper.  Ok, this was pretty strange.  Then I noticed all my classmates who were there in suits, like Faith and the lady who gave me the balloon, were wearing name tags with strange names on them.  I laughed at the absurdness and walked inside this giant brain-shaped inflated dome (which I still think looked like a bouncy house).  There were at least a hundred balloons differently colored with legible medications written and drawn on them!

The deal was, as far as I could tell, you walk in the brain and release your meds, and you are letting go of your stress and need for the medication.  I am not certain if that is the point of the brain thing, but that is what I got out of it. (Needless to say, when I released my balloon that I had written "Excedrin" on, I instantly got a headache).

After a while, these creatures came out of nowhere next to the brain, and went inside to dance.  They were a line of marching and dancing costumed students, and it was very interesting!  One looked like Jack-In-The-Box, and was probably my favorite.  (This turned out to be my teacher).

That was pretty much my whole experience there.  Also, at the end of the night when the brain released all of the heavily medicated balloons!


1 comment: