Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Festival of Arts Symposium April 12, 2014



John Byck, Ph.D. Candidate,
Institute of Fine Arts, NYU
The Ship Engravings of Master W
with the Key as Cultural Crossroads
I arrived at the Symposium at 2:00 PM, which was perfect timing because a short reception took place soon after arrival, and snacks and refreshments were available!  I really enjoyed the opportunity to gather with several classmates but mostly the staff of my former and present professors that I engaged in conversation with about topics brought up by the speakers.  I enjoyed all of the lectures for different reasons  I felt that John Byck was enlightening us of a controversy- who really invented what style?  Was it Master W, or not?  

Pamela A. Ivanski, Ph.D.,
Independend Scholar, NY
about Printmaking by
Mary Cassatt 90-91 works
I also enjoyed Pamela Ivinski's lesson about Marry Cassatt and telling us all about her works that she made since the beginning of her career, and her journey through.  I liked learning about how everyone interpreted her work differently.  I could not believe that a scholar or critic actually said that they believed Cassatt painted "ugly women" because pretty women did not deserve the attention.  How close-minded can you be?  These works are all beautiful, so that critic can suck it.  I think my favorite thing about her lecture overall, was her fascination with talking about Mary Cassatt's work.  I think it is wonderful to have a favorite artist who is a master that you know everything you can about.  It is a great passion to pursue especially if you are not an artist yourself and cannot create artwork under their inspiration.


Louse Siddons, Ph.D.
Assist. Professor of Art History
Oklahoma State University
About cross-cultural modernity
painted photography by
Bertha Lum
Next, was Louse Siddons.  I was almost star-stricken by all of these experts around me at this point.  After the reception, I actually sat in the front row next to the presentors on purpose, so that I could get the full experience and have first opportunity to ask them questions and see their reactions to what everyone else said.  I was interested by this speaker because I had never heard of anyone painting over photographs before, or etching and using the piece of wood, like a stamp, but keeping the stamp as the actual piece of work and painting it.
Mary Goodwin
Assist. Professor of Art History
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Printmaking in LA and Role of
Maria Sodi de Ramos Martinez
My favorite lecture was by Mary Goodwin, but that's a separate blog ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment