Thursday, January 21, 2016

Dark Stuff


I have this new energy about social justice lately.  It started last week, and since my partner is a social worker and I used to study Criminal Justice, it seems fitting, actually.  I have been getting a lot of flashbacks of my childhood lately, mostly memories of an abusive foster home, and it has created a negative energy that I'm channeling into my art, and creating more expressive work.

This made me actually understand what it means when other artists say to find my "voice" and that we're "storytellers".  This story, of my past, I haven't been able to tell anyone with my voice, because it would hurt people if names were named.  So, here is my voice for now.  The work is dark, but effective.  I did a painting last night that I have yet to photograph, and I'm not sure how I feel about the result, but the process was extremely emotional and I believe it shows.  Here are some sketches I've done this week:



No comments:

Post a Comment